We declare our covenant with God to walk upon Earth for the greatest good of all creation.
BEING OF SERVICE
Service to God and to all beings is the highest form of Love in Action. Of Unity's five basic principles, Spiritual Social Action reflects the fifth principle, our call to express Spirit in the world by expanding our circle of compassion. We joyfully move from our hearts, extend our hands to the world, and step forth in divine action.
Spiritual Social Action includes four focus areas:
- Compassionate Response
Through spiritual prayer and special celebrations, practical actions, and joining with others in our communities, Unity ministries in the Northwest Region are joyfully serving humanity and caring for our Earth home.
View our brochure and the resources below for ideas and sample activities.
Questions? Contact us via email
RESOURCES to download
Want to guide your ministry into Service?
Look under "Create a Vision" and "Start a Team."
Looking for new activity ideas?
Check out "Special Celebrations," "Take Action," and our list of suggested activities under "To Learn More..."
Want to offer a class?
Look at our curriculum materials under "Adult Education" and our list of suggested books and websites under "To Learn More..."
All materials are in PDF format unless otherwise noted.
Resources by other authors are shared with permission.
Create a Vision
- Revisioning Unity's Five Basic Principles
- From New Thought to New Action by Jane Simmons
- Why Care for the Earth?
Start a Team
- Preparing for SSA (powerpoint) by Wendy Craig-Purcell
- Preparing for SSA (transcript) by Wendy Craig-Purcell
- A Moving Guide to Earth Care by Unity Church of Portland, OR
Services for the AGNT Seasons for Peace:
- Season for Nonviolence: Gandhi Salt Communion by Robin Haruna
- Season for the Earth: Earth Day Celebration by Robin Haruna
- Season for Humane Service: (when available)
- Season for Interfaith Celebration: (when available)
Services for the Four Elements / Four Seasons:
- Fire / Winter: Burning Bowl Service
- Air / Spring: Prayer Ribbon Ceremony
- Earth / Summer: Healing Earth Service
- Water / Autumn: Gathering of the Waters Ceremony
- Spiritual Social Action by Unity Worldwide Ministries - small group booklet (link to website)
- Sacred by Design by Jim DiPeso - introduction to EarthCare
Small Group Series based on books by Eknath Easwaran:
- The Compassionate Universe by Marilyn Muehlbach (WORD docs)
- The Wisdom of Gandhi by Baine Palmer (link to website)
- Strength in the Storm by Inge Tarantola (WORD docs)
Ministry Stories (Newsletters):
- Spring 2013 Buffalo, NY
- Spring 2011 Bandon "Peace Rocks"
- Winter 2011 Youth & EarthCare
- Autumn 2010 Salem Nature Habitat Team
- Summer 2010 Coeur d'Alene Eco-Theater
- Spring 2010 Bandon "Water is Life" project
- Winter 2010 Beaverton "Awakening the Dreamer" Symposium
- Autumn 2009 Spokane "Walks for Peace"
- Summer 2009 Bellevue "Green Festival"
- Spring 2009 Programs to Green Your Ministry
- Winter 2009 Special Services for Creation
- Autumn 2008 Spokane River Cleanup
- Summer 2008 Coeur d'Alene community garden
- Spring 2008 Earth Day activities around the Northwest Region
- Winter 2008 Issaquah habitat restoration project
- Autumn 2007 Portland area projects
- Summer 2007 Corvallis projects
- January 2006 Portland energy refit
To Learn More...
Earth Day Celebration
SSA Programs at Unity Worldwide Ministries
Unity Worldwide Ministries' Spiritual Social Action program includes compassionate response, earthcare, peace, and interfaith. To learn more, go to: www.unity.org/bethechange/
UnityFM's show "A World That Works" featured interviews and stories of Spiritual Social Action and EarthCare projects in Unity ministries. To hear the archived shows (2009-2010), go to: www.unity.fm/program/AWorldThatWorks
- Association for Global New Thought
- Awakening the Dreamer Symposium
- Be the Change Earth Alliance
- Children & Nature Network
- Earth Charter Initiative
- Earth Ministry (Seattle WA)
- Energy Star Program (U.S. EPA)
- Green Sanctuary (Unitarians)
- INEC (Portland OR)
- Interfaith Power and Light
- NCC - Ecojustice Resources
- Northwest Earth Institute
- NRPE (Interfaith)
- Season of Creation
- UN Environment Programme
- Web of Creation (Lutherans)